Artist Larry Fisher
A Diamond & Caldor 3-truck Shay, having just shoved a string of ten flats onto the mill pond trestle, awaits the final two cars to dump their logs for the Diamond Springs Mill. The fireman leans far out to confirm that all logs have cleared the flat, he will then signal to the engineer to proceed one more car-length forward for the final dump.
The D&C ran about four trains of 10 flats a day to the Diamond Springs Mill. The railroad had four large fifty-ton Lima-built Shays on their roster. They were similar to the 3-truck No. 8…numbering 6, 7 & 10. In addition to the larger models a small, two-truck Shay was used as a switcher…number 4.
The Diamond & Caldor was still using the antique ‘link & pin’ couplers in this late 1940’s scene. It was not until 1952 that the company was ordered to convert to the automatic knuckle coupler, as was stated by the Railway Safety Act of 1893. That act required all railroads to convert to the safer automatic coupler system by 1904.
Image Size: 17″ High x 21″ Wide
Regular Edition Size: 100
Artist Proofs and Publisher Proofs are available by request.
24″ High x 30″ Wide Original Acrylic Painting is available for sale.